Re: Human origins and doctrine

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 17:10:55 EST

    Adrian Teo wrote:

    > Hello George,

            I'm wary of any "argument ... for the necessity of God." Such an
    argument requires that in one way or another God's existence can be logically
    determined by some feature or features of the world, and thus assumes the
    legitimacy of an independent natural theology. I think that the theology of the
    cross and the related kenotic character of divine action argue against such a
    possibility. Eberhard Juengel has developed this idea in detail in _God as the
    Mystery of the World_ and argues there that God is "more than necessary."
            On the specific issue of the development of moral capacity &c: The gap
    that exists here is one between two different categories, & thus is rather like
    the mind-brain problem. I admit that it is a difficult problem, but still don't
    think a God of the gaps answer is helpful. What does such an answer do? If it
    isn't intended as a prohibition of further scientific work, it is simply a
    temporary stop-gap. In the later case, what's the point? Why not just say "We
    don't know."
            (& of course as Christians we are going to say that God is involved in
    the development of moral agency, just as God is active in the mind brain
    connection - whether we understand these things scientifically or not.)

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/