RE: Human origins and doctrine

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 13:09:04 EST

    Hello George,

    You raise a very important point, and that is that I have inserted God into
    a process that has yet to be adequately explained by science. In a sense
    this is a God-of-the-gaps argument, which I recognize, but in a different
    sense, aren't we all as Christians invoking the same argument whenever we
    argue for the necessity of God? Naturalists have frequently accused
    Christian apologists of this argument. I would be reluctant to readily
    insert God into any gaps we find in science, but in this case, I am arguing
    that the naturalistic account seems *inherently* inadequate in explaining
    the big questions (s.a. origin of the universe, purpose, self-determination,
    morality). So, yes, technically, I am invoking God-of-the-gaps, but only in
    a limited way, and in a way not unlike how any apologist would approach such
    problems.

    Blessings,

    Adrian.