Re: Definition of "Species"

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 14:00:01 EST

    From: "Shuan Rose" <shuanr@boo.net>

    Would it be fair to say that IDers like Johnson and Dembski believe that God
    created each species(however defined) seperately, and that species("kinds")
    are not related to each other by common descent? This would make them
    Progressive Creationists, I guess.It's hard to tell what they believe,
    because they never propose their own model of what happened! Their motto
    seems to be " I don't know what happened, but whatever it was, it certainly
    wasn't evolution".

    I think "progressive creationist" is a fair label; I believe Johnson has
    accepted that ( I don't have a reference)

    In No Free Lunch, p. 331-332, Dembski says, "...we are now at the place
    where transforming a biological system that does not exhibit an instance of
    specified complexity (say a bacterium without a flagellum) into one that
    does (say a bacterium with a flagellum) cannot be accomplished by purely
    natural means but also requires intelligence."

    So, figure this out. A bacterium without a flagellum is presumable not
    "intelligently designed," but a bacterium with a flagellum is. Quite
    remarkable, I would say.

    Howard Van Till