Re: Faith Crisis

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 07:59:24 EST

    Glenn Morton wrote:

> [...]

            I don't want to provoke Glenn, but should explain my view on this briefly,
    especially since I have been cited at other times as believing that the resurrection
    is the only biblical miracle that really happened. That isn't the case.
            Indeed, I think that some of the biblical miracles didn't "really happen" as
    historical events. I don't think, e.g., that the sun (or earth) really "stood still"
    for Joshua. This doesn't mean that I simply ignore this story: It says something
    about the experience of the people of Israel and serves a theological function in the
    context of scripture. But I don't believe that for ~24 hours the velocity of the
    earth relative to the sun was zero.
            Other miracles - besides the resurrection - did occur. The question I raise
    is not about the brute fact of them happening but about how to understand them. I
    don't think that most miracles are best understood as instances in which God simply
    "violated" the laws of nature. Rather, they can be thought of as very rare events
    whose possibility God has put into creation, so rare that we can't see the
    regularities that would enable us to encompass them in general laws. But with some
    we can see connections with everyday events - e.g., the feeding of the 5000 & God's
    usual provision of food.
            This is actually a quite traditional understanding of miracles. That
    doesn't prove that it's true, but it isn't just an innovation of mine.

            Let me also make a personal comment on the "crisis of faith" issue. I grew up
    in the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, a pretty conservative body in which evolution
    was rejected and there were some inclinations toward young earth views. But the
    focus in the Lutheran tradition in general, and in my upbringing in particular, has
    been evangelical in the strict sense - i.e., on the message that sinners are freely
    justified and saved for Christ's sake. To oversimplify considerably, you run into
    more of a problem in this tradition by questioning Romans than Genesis. I did have
    to go through some intellectual struggles to get free of YEC & anti-evolution views &
    have had faith crises, but the latter weren't about Genesis, because that's not where
    my faith was centered.
            (OTOH, the downside of this tradition is that one can focus on justification
    in an existential sense and pretty much ignore creation. I've commented recently
    here on that tendency in Bultmann.)

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy