RE: Faith Crisis

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 12:13:03 EST

    You are correct Jim. But for many of us this is not a surprise. But a crisis
    of faith is only partly due to what one beleives about Genesis. It is also
    dependent upon what the scientific data actually shows. If the fossils were
    scattered willy-nilly through the entire geologic column a believe in a
    literal flood would not cause the crisis. The data would match the belief.
    The crisis comes when the data or epistemology conflicts with one's belief
    about Scripture.
            My personal crisis began in 1983 when I went on a carbonate field trip to
    south Texas and looked at the sedimentation of limestone rocks. The data
    challenged my YEC beliefs. I saw tiny burrows throughout the limestone made
    by clionid sponges who were eating the limestone by taking tiny 6 micron
    radius bites. One can see this same thing going on in limestones being
    deposited today.

    This data made it difficult to remain a YEC. I had a moral choice before
    me--ignore the data (be dishonest) and remain a YEC advocate or change my
    views. That was the point at which I began to change but it was a full ten
    years before I gave up and accepted evolution. It was the data which forced
    the change not the belief and it was the mismatch of data and belief which
    forced the crisis.

    I mentioned epistemology above. I personally still struggle because I can't
    reconcile a non-historical Scripture with its divine inspiration. I hear
    what people say, that the resurrection is the sine qua non of Christianity
    and it is. Often with this goes a pooh-poohing of the OT miracles like the
    floating ax head, the talking snake etc as these are not so important to the
    Christian faith. I agree with that. But when it comes to the NT miracles
    should we pooh-pooh them as well? Is the feeding of the 5000 false? is the
    story of Ananias and Sapphira false? Did Peter not heal lots of people? Did
    Peter have a 'Get-out-of-jail-card' rather than a miracle? Did Jesus really
    walk on the water? Did he raise Lazarus from the dead? These miracles too
    are not crucial to Christianity so why should they be accepted when the same
    logic forces or allows for rejection of OT miracles? And if one is logically
    consistent and pooh-pooh's them, then that leaves only one miracle which we
    are then supposed to believe as rock solid fact--the resurrection.

    Is it rational to believe that all the miracles of the Bible are false save
    the resurrection? I wouldn't think so. And that is where the non-concordist
    pathway would lead me, I fear.

    So I won't have another go round on this with George or anyone else, I
    simply WILL NOT respond to any replies.

    personal stories of struggle