Re: Children of YEC's in Sunday School (WAS: How to discuss evolution with friends

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 15:00:52 EST

    "Vandergraaf, Chuck" wrote:

    > George,
    >
    > One must be very careful with trying to stretch the "day" in Gen.1 to
    > "ages" to accommodate an old earth. ["(For that matter, when talking
    > with adults on whom the light is just beginning to dawn & who say,
    > "Maybe the days were millions of years long", I don't try to introduce
    > more sophisticated ideas - right then.)"] Some years ago, when I
    > tried this tack, the response was something along the lines that
    > plants need sunlight and that they would not survive a long night
    > (assuming, of course, that the night was also "millions of years
    > long"). I suppose one could argue for long days and short nights, but
    > that has its own problems. ;-)
    >
    > Having thought about this for many years now (but not as long as some
    > correspondents on this ASA site), I've come to the conclusion that it
    > is hopeless to look for any agreement between what God shows us in His
    > Creation and what Genesis appears to tell us at first glance (or, for
    > many, even after 'n' glances). A more satisfying argument, to me,
    > would be that God created the Universe some 6000 or so years ago as a
    > fully functional system, with the stars 'way out there and the light
    > well on its way to us, with all the daughter products of the U and Th
    > series in place, with the isotopic signatures that we find, etc.,
    > etc. Note that I don't say I'd be happy with it, but I think I'd
    > prefer it over "shoe horning" Genesis into geology or the other way
    > around.

            Please note the very limited way in which I said that day-age
    concordism could be useful:

    > For this age I don't object to some modest concordism as a kind of
    > temporary resting place. The days might be much longer than 24 hours
    > & the other
    > land animals were created before human beings (in the 1st account!)
    > The "day-age"
    > thing doesn't really work on close examination & I wouldn't "teach
    > it", but in
    > this context it's okay to suggest it as one way of thinking about
    > things.
    > (For that matter, when talking with adults on whom the light
    > is just
    > beginning to dawn & who say, "Maybe the days were millions of years
    > long", I don't
    > try to introduce more sophisticated ideas - right then.)

            It may be helpful temporarily for children or for adults who are
    just coming to realize that a young earth isn't the article by which the
    church stands and falls. "Close examination" however, will reveal
    problems like the plants existing millions of years without the sun. &
    then you have to say
    "I don't know" or (probably for adults) "that's one of the limits of the
    model." & pretty soon people will see enough limitations of the model
    to realize that it really isn't helpful.
            OTOH I think that the apparent age argument you suggest would
    sow the seeds of disaster. It still allows one to maintain a YEC view,
    it really explains nothing, & says that God created a world which was
    misleading about its own character.

    Shalom,
    George

    George L. Murphy