Re: Glenn makes front page of AiG today

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 17:53:42 EST

    Walter Hicks wrote:

    > george murphy wrote:
    > >
    > > John W Burgeson wrote:
    > >
    > > > Glenn wrote: "Burgy, from Allen's point of view that is exactly the
    > > > choice. That is what
    > > > YEC leaders teach. If evolution is true, then there is no God. And so,
    > > > they set their followers up to become atheists when they learn about
    > > > science. The YECs would be absolutely amazed at how many former YECs
    > > > become atheists. Indeed, I think it is the quickest path to atheism."
    > > >
    > > > Yeah. I know. We are singing from the same page of the hymnbook here,
    > > > Glenn. It is sad. Still -- based on what I see, they are winning the
    > > > hearts and minds(?) of the multitudes. And I see no way that tide is
    > > > going to be turned, at least not in my lifetime.
    > > >
    > > > But, as Edmund Burke observed, "Just because only a little can be done,
    > > > it does not excuse one from doing what he can." (paraphrased), we must
    > > > keep on keeping on in the gallant battle. Fundamentalism is only 90 years
    > > > old, it has a good way to go before it dies. That it will die, I have
    > > > little doubt. And, as Allen well knows, both you and I, along with many
    > > > here, are committed to killing it just a little bit sooner by our
    > > > arguments and testimonies.
    > >
    > > Whether or not Christian fundamentalism will eventually die is to
    > > large a topic to be taken on here. But as far as issues concerning creation,
    > > evolution, human origins &c are concerned -
    > > The fundamentalist approach to these topics will continue to thrive
    > > as long as a concordist understanding of early Genesis seems to be the only
    > > Christian alternative. That understand confirms the basic assumption of YEC,
    > > that Genesis can be true only if it is accurate historical narrative.
    > > Glenn & I have argued about this over & over here in the past & I'm
    > > not trying to renew that exchange now, but I do want to keep people aware of
    > > at least the problematic character of concordist interpretations.

    > IMHO the current approach being taken will never succeed in convincing a
    > YEC to believe in evolution and remain Christian. In fact, in will have
    > the opposite effect of converting YECs to atheism as indicated by
    > Burgy's own words.
    >
    > The problem is that many well known scientists publish works that claim
    > that science has proven the lack of need for religion. Thus, they say
    > that science is opposed to religion (especially in the area of
    > evolution). Now are we choosing a strategy that attempts to prove that
    > evolution is correct and that it does indeed conflict with the Bible?
    > How can that ever be considered to be a winning position?
    >
    > The real issue is that those scientists who espouse this point of view
    > are quite incorrect. We do not need God to explain origins any more than
    > we need God to explain thunder and lightening. The issues are spiritual,
    > not physical. I went to a school which has "mens at manus et spiritus"
    > as its motto. I then went to a university whose motto is "mens et
> [...]

            It's not clear to me from what you've written here just what you're arguing
    with. What is "the current approach being taken" which "will never succeed in
    convincing a YEC to believe in evolution and remain Christian"? And who on this
    list has suggested "converting YECs into atheists"?

            What I have suggested is that people be convinced to
            a) take scientific evidence and theories seriously, and
            b) appreciate the variety of _true_ and _authoritative_ material in
    scripture.

            Of course the meta-scientific claims of Dawkins _et al_ should be opposed
    as well.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy