Re: Glenn makes front page of AiG today

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 07:54:00 EST

    John W Burgeson wrote:

    > Glenn wrote: "Burgy, from Allen's point of view that is exactly the
    > choice. That is what
    > YEC leaders teach. If evolution is true, then there is no God. And so,
    > they set their followers up to become atheists when they learn about
    > science. The YECs would be absolutely amazed at how many former YECs
    > become atheists. Indeed, I think it is the quickest path to atheism."
    >
    > Yeah. I know. We are singing from the same page of the hymnbook here,
    > Glenn. It is sad. Still -- based on what I see, they are winning the
    > hearts and minds(?) of the multitudes. And I see no way that tide is
    > going to be turned, at least not in my lifetime.
    >
    > But, as Edmund Burke observed, "Just because only a little can be done,
    > it does not excuse one from doing what he can." (paraphrased), we must
    > keep on keeping on in the gallant battle. Fundamentalism is only 90 years
    > old, it has a good way to go before it dies. That it will die, I have
    > little doubt. And, as Allen well knows, both you and I, along with many
    > here, are committed to killing it just a little bit sooner by our
    > arguments and testimonies.

            Whether or not Christian fundamentalism will eventually die is to
    large a topic to be taken on here. But as far as issues concerning creation,
    evolution, human origins &c are concerned -
            The fundamentalist approach to these topics will continue to thrive
    as long as a concordist understanding of early Genesis seems to be the only
    Christian alternative. That understand confirms the basic assumption of YEC,
    that Genesis can be true only if it is accurate historical narrative.
            Glenn & I have argued about this over & over here in the past & I'm
    not trying to renew that exchange now, but I do want to keep people aware of
    at least the problematic character of concordist interpretations.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/