Re: Common Sense Science

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 07:46:17 EST

    Glenn Morton wrote:

> [...]

            I think that Glenn has been rather generous about the quality of Barnes
    ideas concerning relativity and quantum theory, which can be found summarized in
    his book _Physics of the Future_
    (ICR, 1983). Its thesis is the the physics of the future is the physics of the
    past - i.e., ~1890.
            Some of the arguments against relativity are just ridicule - e.g.,
    references to "rubber" measuring rods &c. Some of his supposed discoveries are
    really ancient history. E.g., his "discovery" that the electrical energy E of a
    charged particle increases its inertia by m = E/c^2 was made by J.J. Thomson
    ~100 years before Barnes. This discovery (like the similar one of Hasenoehrl
    for blackbody radiation) does not take the place of Einstein's discovery of a
    _general_ relationship between mass & energy.
            In this book Barnes showed no awareness of much of the modern work
    (i.e., since about 1930) on relativity. His treatment of the observations of
    gravitational deflection of light all have to do with the old eclipse
    observations & he never mentions the more recent ones (but well before his book
    was published) with radio waves from quasars which have confirmed Einstein's
    prediction to within ~ 1%.
            In dealing with quantum mechanics, his book again shows no awareness of
    modern quantum theory - i.e., the theories of Heisenberg & Schroedinger. One
    gets the impression that he thought the Bohr model of the atom was the latest
    thing. & his attempt to develop a classical model of the atom (Chapter 11) is
    an exercise in futility: He doesn't even _try_ to get the Rydberg formula for
    the hydrogen spectrum.
            Barnes may have been a nice man (Glenn can speak to that) & he knew
    classical mechanics and E&M. But his work on modern physics was worthless.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/