Re: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 19:52:34 EST

    Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM wrote:

    > George-
    >
    > I am curious about your conclusions concerning those "things" referred to in
    > the passages in Colossians and Ephesians. As you noted, the articles
    > rendered appear to be neuter. Are we to assume that they are living? If
    > so, those who are in heaven are probably angels, which would seem to
    > validate your point, or, possibly, just resurrected humans. (Matthew
    > 22:30). On the other hand, on earth, the only neuter living beings seem to
    > be overzealous Judaizers (Gal 5:12; Phil 3:2), Ethiopian treasurers (Acts
    > 8:27) , and really dedicated Christians (Matt 19:12...ouch!) Of course, in
    > the animal kingdom there are several neuter species, but none seem to figure
    > prominently in Scripture.

        1) Grammatical and biological genders often don't correspond. There is no
    biological significance for Germans in the fact that for them forks are
    grammatically feminine, spoons masculine, & knives neuter. In the Greek of the
    NT, "the child" (_to paidion_) and "the sheep" (_to probaton_) are neuter, to
    give just 2 examples.
       2) If your argument had any force, _ta panta_ in the passages noted wouldn't
    include human beings (_anthropoi_, a grammatically masculine word which includes
    both male & female humans).
        3) The neuter plural is used generically to mean "all things" of all
    genders. See Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich, _A Greek-English Lexicon of the New
    Testament and Other Early Christian Literature_, s.v. _pas, pasa, pan_.

    > But as too whether such animals, or their sexual counterparts, sin, I would
    > vote no.

            As I have already pointed out, there are other things to be saved from
    besides sin.

    > PS, thanks to everyone in not quoting Eccl 3:19-21.

            How about Ps.36:6?

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy