RE: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 13:37:10 EST

    George-

    I am curious about your conclusions concerning those "things" referred to in
    the passages in Colossians and Ephesians. As you noted, the articles
    rendered appear to be neuter. Are we to assume that they are living? If
    so, those who are in heaven are probably angels, which would seem to
    validate your point, or, possibly, just resurrected humans. (Matthew
    22:30). On the other hand, on earth, the only neuter living beings seem to
    be overzealous Judaizers (Gal 5:12; Phil 3:2), Ethiopian treasurers (Acts
    8:27) , and really dedicated Christians (Matt 19:12...ouch!) Of course, in
    the animal kingdom there are several neuter species, but none seem to figure
    prominently in Scripture.

    But as too whether such animals, or their sexual counterparts, sin, I would
    vote no.

    And the reason why should be obvious, especially to evolutionists...to sin
    is to transgress the Law. And animals, as did we, have but one Law.
    However, unlike us, theirs was, and is, the Law of Self-Preservation, either
    of individual or species. In Romans 8, this serving of self and species is
    called "vanity" or "futility" in comparison to Mans ultimate duty to love,
    and serve, others, even our enemies, and God. In fact, this is undoubtedly
    the "carnal nature" that we are warned so much to be against.

    An animal does not, knowingly, violate this Law, because it instinctively
    knows that such a "sin" leads to death. Thus, this is the "slavery to
    corruption" that is mentioned. And, by analogy, we, by our carnal nature,
    fear death...until we realize, and accept, that Christ has conquered death.

    We have this hope within us to be ultimately freed from all corruption, but
    I do not know what Utopia animals dream of.

    (I cannot believe I am writing this...just a few short years ago I was
    explaining to my daughter that "All Dogs Go to Heaven" was just an
    unscriptural title to a video...)

    PS, thanks to everyone in not quoting Eccl 3:19-21.

    Norm Woodward
    Warner Robins Georgia