Re: Distance of spiral nebulae

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 17:14:00 EST

    Glenn

    Glenn Morton wrote:

    > I find so many parallels between what Whewell did and what RTB is doing with
    > anthropology that it utterly amazes me.

    You are repeating this assertion without any evidence. I really think your projecting
    your quite legitimate concerns about RTB onto a different person and era.

    > >There were two issues: 1) whether the faint points of light in the spiral
    > >nebulae were stars and 2) how far they were.
    >
    > I wish you would support this with documentation. The great debate site
    > says nothing that I can find about whether the points of light in the
    > galaxies were stars or not. It seems that everyone beleived they were stars,
    > but disagreed on their absolute magnitudes, which affects the view of how
    > far away they are: From the great debate web site I will post what they say
    > were the issues, and I wish someone would point out where the issue of
    > whether the points-of-light-in-the-nebula-are-stars issue appears.

    You are changing the subject, which is Whewell, not the great debate. The only
    significance of the great debate is that is shows that even in 1920 there was dissent
    on what spiral nebulae were composed of and how far away they were. Therefore we
    should go easy on Whewell for not accepting observations made only a few years before
    his book.

    > issues. These are presented in the following paragraphs in roughly the order
    > in which they occur in the printed texts (Shapley 1921, Curtis 1921), which
    > is neither in order of importance nor according to any other pattern a
    > modern reviewer would be likely to choose. According to the actual texts
    > reproduced by Hoskin (1976), no other additional scientific points were made
    > during the main talks, though some may have arisen during Russell's rebuttal
    > or other parts of the discussion, no record of which has been preserved.
    > Each paragraph indicated an issue, what each disputant thought (or anyhow
    > wrote or said), what we think now and sometimes why, and who should be
    > counted the winner on each issue.

    Shapely while accepting that the spiral nebulae were extra galactic did not accept
    their their stellar nature. In his paper 1921 paper that came out of the great debate