Re: The Star-Trek effect

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 17:33:17 EST

    Hi Glenn

    I don't think that we should take William Wherwell's opinion as neccessarily
    respresentative of Christian views on the plurality of life on worlds. In his
    1817 "Astronomical discourses" the Scottish preacher Thomas Chambers wrote of
    other planets that “must be the mansions of life and of intelligence” and “The
    universe at large would suffer as little, in its splendour and variety, by the
    destruction of our planet, as the verdure and sublime magnitude of a forest
    would suffer by the fall of a single leaf”. Even earlier the 17th century Dutch
    astronomer Christain Huygens in his posthumous book "Cosmotheoros" wrote “For
    all this Furniture and Beauty the Planets are stock’d with seem to have been
    made in vain, without any Design or End, unless there were some in them that
    might at the same time enjoy the Fruits, and adore the wise Creator of them.”

    On the spiral nebulae, wasn't the original idea that they were actually
    protostellar nebular in the process of collapsing, rather than being galaxies?
    Until stars were resolved in then they were thought to lie within our own
    galaxy.

    But it is interesting how groups such as RTB seem to have nailed their colours
    to the mast by saying that life is rare in the universe, without any direct
    evidence one way or the other. Doubtless should life be discovered elsewhere in
    the universe this will be used as a rod to Christian's backs.

    GB

    Jon