Re: P.J. Bowler book

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 12:49:07 EST

    I think I can give several examples of what Howard is talking about , where
    evangelicals are at best harassed and at worst hounded out because they do
    not hold to some evangelical , or rather ultra-fundamentalist, shibboleth
    and in recent decades especially a 6 day creation. At times this can be done
    in a vicious way.
    That type of view is not absent in Britian and can be evidenced by some who
    are very quick to dismiss another as non-Christian. I am liable to get
    clobbered as I dont speak in tongues, did not have a Damascus road
    conversion (actually I was just like Paul as my conversion took months
    rather than minutes - read acts carefully) and am a wooly liberal on
    Genesis.
    It is often claimed that it is hardline evangelicals are the worst for abuse
    (there is no other word) against fellow members of the body of Christ.
    However they are not unique as those of a liberal bent can be as abusive and
    I think the recent history of the ECUSA shows that, and some liberal
    Christians are incredibly illiberal in their lack of tolerance for others.

    As for myself I have witnessed and experienced religious abuse equally from
    the left and the right and I think my total christian stance is fairly close
    to Howard's.

    Regards

    Michael