Re: [NEWS] Press Release: Dembski attacks Pennock and MIT Press

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 11:17:39 EST

    From: John W Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>

    Howard, your reply puzzles me. Bill Dembski is asserting a claim about the
    "Darwinian establishment," by which he clearly is referring to people such
    as Puglicci, Dawkins, Schafersman, Provine, and others of their ilk. Now his
    claim may, or may not, be correct (I think it is, based on conversations I
    had with Schafersman at the NTSE in Austin about 3 or 4 years ago), but it
    is hardly criticism of theistic evolution to note what some misguided
    atheists say about theistic evolution.

    Now if Bill were to write that he endorses that view, that would be another
    thing.

    Burgy,

    By ascribing these sentiments to other unnamed members of a hypothetical
    "Darwinian establishment" Bill was able technically to claim no
    responsibility for these sentiments and their tone of voice. However, by
    choosing not to quote any representative member of this "establishment" and
    to craft his own concept of what "their" attitude was, Bill chose not to
    distance himself more that a micron from that same judgement.

    Howard Van Till