Re: [NEWS] Press Release: Dembski attacks Pennock and MIT Press

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 10:57:32 EST

    Dembski
     wrote: "Not to put too fine a point on it, the Darwinian establishment
    views theistic evolution as a weak-kneed sycophant that desperately wants
    the respectability that comes with being a full-blooded Darwinist but
    refuses to follow the logic of Darwinism through to the end"

    Howard replied: "...Given that a typical dictionary definition of
    sycophant is a self-seeking, servile flatterer; a fawning parasite, I can
    scarcely imagine needing to resort to criticism any more caustic than
    that."

    Howard, your reply puzzles me. Bill Dembski is asserting a claim about
    the "Darwinian establishment," by which he clearly is referring to people
    such as Puglicci, Dawkins, Schafersman, Provine, and others of their ilk.
    Now his claim may, or may not, be correct (I think it is, based on
    conversations I had with Schafersman at the NTSE in Austin about 3 or 4
    years ago), but it is hardly criticism of theistic evolution to note what
    some misguided atheists say about theistic evolution.

    Now if Bill were to write that he endorses that view, that would be
    another thing. I talked with Phil Johnson on this very subject at the
    NTSE; it was clear that he would not make that claim, even though he
    thinks the TE position to be incorrect.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)