Re: Pasteur and nature of science

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 22:45:35 EST

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 07:42:10 -0500 george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    writes:
    > Bill Payne wrote:

    > >From the Kansas Science Standards (p 70 of 75): "Evolution -
    > >Biological: .....With respect to living organisms, evolution has two
    major
    > > perspectives: The long-term perspective focuses on the branching of
    > > lineages; the short-term perspective centers on changes within
    lineages. In the
    > >long term, evolution is the descent with modification of different
    lineages from
    > >common ancestors..."

    > Note that the standards you cite do not contain your "heart of the
    theory."

    I disagree. "Branching of lineages" is clearly understood to mean that
    man descended from apes or other hominid types. "Common ancestors" is
    the supposed first organic unit which was able to replicate itself (with
    modifications of course). This may not be as explicit as you would like,
    but please remember that it was written in veiled terminology to not
    overtly offend the people of Kansas. Or to put it more diplomatically,
    it was a compromise effort by people with varying interests. But the
    heart is alive and well.

    Bill
    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.