Re: Pasteur and nature of science

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 14:39:51 EST

    Bill Payne wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 07:42:10 -0500 george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    > writes:
    > > Bill Payne wrote:
    >
    > > >From the Kansas Science Standards (p 70 of 75): "Evolution -
    > > >Biological: .....With respect to living organisms, evolution has two
    > major
    > > > perspectives: The long-term perspective focuses on the branching of
    > > > lineages; the short-term perspective centers on changes within
    > lineages. In the
    > > >long term, evolution is the descent with modification of different
    > lineages from
    > > >common ancestors..."
    >
    > > Note that the standards you cite do not contain your "heart of the
    > theory."
    >
    > I disagree. "Branching of lineages" is clearly understood to mean that
    > man descended from apes or other hominid types. "Common ancestors" is
    > the supposed first organic unit which was able to replicate itself (with
    > modifications of course). This may not be as explicit as you would like,
    > but please remember that it was written in veiled terminology to not
    > overtly offend the people of Kansas. Or to put it more diplomatically,
    > it was a compromise effort by people with varying interests. But the
    > heart is alive and well.

            We could debate the motives & interpretation of the Kansas
    standards. But before we make that transition, I'll repeat the point that I
    made at the beginning & which has not been refuted: Evolution does not
    involve increase in complexity as a matter of definition.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/