Re: God acting in creation #3

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 09:31:44 EST

    RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
    > > God's cooperation an empty hypothetical construct?>>
    >
    > George responded:
    >
    > <First, I should say that this concept of divine action isn't my
    > invention
    > but is a very traditional one. (Barbour labels it "neo-Thomist".) Formally,
    > God
    > is the "first cause" who acts in the world through created agents as "second
    > causes". The model or metaphor for this is that God is the craftsperson who
    > uses
    > "tools" or "instruments" to accomplish certain tasks. Of course all
    > metaphors or
    > models are limited, and this one doesn't take into account the idea that God
    > is
    > the one who brings his instruments into being and preserves them.
    > Where my approach differs from many traditional ones is by
    > emphasizing two
    > other ideas:
    > (1) God normally limits his actions to the capacities of creatures
    > (kenosis), and
    >
    > (2) God's action is seen by faith, not scientific observation. I.e., this is
    > theological concept, not one of natural science, & should not be expected to
    > new
    > insights to physics or biology as scientific theories.
    > "Cooperation" means literally that God "works with" creatures/natural
    > entities & processes.
    > Everything is done by both God and a creature. When you write with a pen,
    > both
    > you and the pen can be said to act. Your action of course "affects" the pen
    > - if
    > you didn't pick it up it would just sit there and not write anything.
    > "Cooperation" is a better term for this than the other word that is
    > sometimes used, "concurrence". The latter suggests that God and creatures
    > simply
    > accompany one another as they each do their separate things.
    > Of course you could convert the pen into some instrument that would be
    > capable of a wider range of tasks, but you would do that by acting on the pen
    > with
    > some other instruments. >>
    >
    > George:
    >
    > Let me comment on a couple things you wrote in the above:
    >
    > "God is the one who brings his instruments into being and preserves them."
    > I'm pretty sure you don't mean by this that God brings new instruments into
    > being at any time other than in the initial creation of the universe. But I
    > do. At transition points between developmental stages, in my view, God did
    > just that. God brought new instruments to bring about new phenomena -- e.g.,
    > cellular life. That is, I don't believe that the laws of physics and
    > chemistry (God's instruments) although sufficient to account for the
    > prebiotic universe, can account for the phenomenon of cellular life. We've
    > gone over that before. Here's one place where we differ.

            Yes. I don't think there's a compelling reason to believe that those
    transitions (development of life &c) require fundamentally new capabilities, even
    though we don't understand at present how those developments could have happened
    through natural processes.

    > I am gratified that you used the term "preserves". That seems to me an
    > essential element in providence which you have neglected so far in your
    > emphasis on providence as cooperation. That answers a question I asked
    > later, "What else does God do besides cooperating with his creation?" God is
    > also upholding, sustaining, preserving secondary causes. That may not be
    > what you mean, but it is what I do.

            I may not have given this adequate emphasis before but I try to give
    appropriate expression to all the aspects of traditional doctrines of providence -
    preservation, cooperation, & governance. One difference is that with a dynamic
    view of creation it may be best to think of God preserving creatures precisely by
    cooperating with them, rather than as preserving static substances & then doing
    things with them.

    > A comment on "cooperation". Sometimes you write as if God and
    > "creatures/natural entities & processes" are equal partners in this
    > cooperation. I don't think that is the case. It is more accurate to say
    > that the creaturely processes cooperate with God, just as the pen cooperates
    > and is dependent on the arm that does the writing. The arm is free to
    > discard the pen and use some other means, but the pen is not free to discard
    > the arm. Would you agree?

            Yes. This is brought out with the language of primary & secondary
    cooperation. (& in process thought God "lures" creatures, not the other way
    around. But there is a "reaction" of creaturely action on God.)

    > When you say, "God normally limits his actions to the capacities of
    > creatures (kenosis)," you allow some wiggle room for God to act in ways we
    > do not and maybe can never understand that may be normal yet in addition to
    > the capacities of creature. I am uncomfortable when we lay hard and fast
    > limitations on what God can do and has done.

            Nor do I intend to forbid God to act as God chooses. But exceptions are
    exception, & I think we should guard against using the resurrection of Jesus,
    e.g., to provide a rationale for invoking numerous miraculous interventions -
    especially when they are not things witnessed to by revelation but simply
    scientifically puzzling phenomena.

    Shalom,
                                                                                George

    George L. Murphy