Re: Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 08:40:21 EST

    From: "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>

    Sorry, Howard, but your questions box God into human patterns. This is why
    the older philosophers recognized that the only way to approach the deity is
    through the via negativa. The Christian way, of course, is to see the Father
    in the Son, the only way to truly know him.

    Sorry, Dave, but the traditional answers -- which ascribe to God various
    constructed/conjectured attributes as being "atemporal", "outside of time",
    or "beyond time", or as "seeing all time at once," or as "knowing contingent
    outcomes in advance without destroying their contingency" -- put us in a
    position of reciting things that have no referent in our experience, only in
    our imaginations. In that circumstance, I thing we may ask questions and
    challenge familiar mantras. Theology must be an active workshop for people
    living & experiencing today, not a museum for displaying only the work of
    "older philosophers."

    Howard Van Till