Re: staged developmental creation

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 09:10:40 EST

    Yesterday I wrote:

    > Peter,
    >
    > 1. Thanks for the reference. I tried to look it up on the Journal's website
    > but I must be doing something incorrectly. Nothing is listed under Orgel as
    > author, and the list of contents for volume 23 (1998) ends at p. 450. Any
    > suggestions? I'd like to see the piece in its entirety to get a better sense
    > of the context of his remarks.

    Someone was kind enough to send me the article. It's location was exactly as
    Peter stated. I'm still not sure why it did not show up on the journal's web
    site.

    I also asked Peter,

    > 2. Question: Given Orgel's experience, does he despair of science ever
    > coming to a better understanding of the formation of first life? Does he,
    > for example, conclude that, in spite of all of the remarkable things that
    > molecules and molecular configurations can do, the formational economy of
    > the universe is inadequate for the actualization of life without being
    > supplemented by some sort of divine action? Or, on the other hand, does he
    > judge that it makes perfectly good sense for him to continue his research in
    > the field of "first formation of living systems" (more commonly called
    > "origin of life" research)?

    I think I now have the answer to this question. Orgel open his brief review
    essay as follows:

    "The problem of the origin of life on the earth has much in common with a
    well-constructed detective story. There is no shortage of clues pointing to
    the way in which the crime, the contamination of the pristine environment of
    the early earth, was committed. On the contrary, there are too many
    suspects. It would be hard to find two investigators who agree on even the
    broad outline of the events that occurred so long ago and made possible the
    subsequent evolution of life in all its variety." P. 491

    Orgel then proceeds with admirable candor to outline both the strengths and
    weaknesses of several theories posing answers to either of two questions:
    (1) What were the sources of the small organic molecules that made up the
    first self-replicating system? (2) How did biological organization evolve
    from an abiotic supply of small organic molecules? Orgel summarizes his
    review by saying:

    "In summary, there are several tenable theories about the origin of organic
    material on the primitive earth, but in no case is the supporting evidence
    compelling. Similarly, several alternative scenarios might account for the
    self-organization of a self-replicating entity from prebiotic organic
    material, but all of those that are that are well formulated are based on
    hypothetical chemical syntheses that are problematic. Returning to our
    detective story, we must conclude that we have identified some important
    suspects and, in each case, we have some ideas about the method they might
    have used. However, we are very far from knowing whodunit. The only
    certainty is that there will be a rational solution." p. 495

    Howard Van Till