Re: Ruest response

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 07:08:04 EST

    Peter Ruest wrote:

    > George Murphy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I find such a proposal vaguely troubling, though I can't easily
    > > > put my finger on the difficulty. If
    > > > some wave packet collapses are "left to chance" then we've dropped the
    > > > principle of sufficient
    > > > reason. Perhaps we need to. But then to say that God determines the
    > > > results of some of these
    > > > collapses means that there is a sufficient reason for the results of
    > > > those measurements. Thus God
    > > > could provide a reason for all the other measurements, but doesn't.
    > >
    > > PR: Again, the principle of sufficient reason is a philosophical
    > > supposition, not a requirement of logic. But even if it were true, it
    > > wouldn't follow that God would have to "provide a reason" for _all_
    > > measurements. If we look at it from a theological viewpoint, God may
    > > decree that a certain mutation happens, in a second case he may decree a
    > > spectrum of possible mutations, and in a third case he may just do
    > > nothing, having decreed the mutation mechanisms with their stochastic
    > > properties at the beginning of life.
    >
    > GLM: Again, you're focussing on biological issues but the problem
    > is
    > broader than that. It involves every case of an electron being observed
    > in
    > one place rather than another. I agree that we aren't required to
    > accept the
    > principle of sufficient reason but it seems to me, as I said,
    > "troubling," to
    > have to drop it and say that some things happen for no reason at all. &
    > this
    > is especially so because we would not be saying simply that there is no
    > natural cause that it happens that way. We would be saying that God is
    > not
    > even the cause of that event.
    >
    > PR: OK, let me try a hand at "collapsing wave packets"! What would it
    > mean if God didn't collapse certain wave packets individually, namely
    > those he doesn't care about, because any result of their collapsing
    > would not make any difference in his plans? Instead, they could collapse
    > in a genuinely random manner, God having specified, at the big bang, a
    > global "hidden variable" describing the pattern to which their
    > collapsing has to conform (or would that not even be a hidden variable,
    > but the known probability distribution?). So, these really random events
    > would not "happen for no reason at all". God would truly be the Author
    > of the results specified individually at any given time in the history
    > of the universe, as well as the Author of those specified collectively,
    > as a Gaussian or other distribution, at the big bang.
    >
    > If such a scheme could be acceptable in physics, maybe an analogous
    > distinction of individual vs. collective specifications could be applied
    > to biological mutations. God would be the Author of all elementary
    > events having usual probabilities, as well as the Author of
> [...]

        A lot of attempts have been made to introduce hidden variables into QM but
    very severe constraints have been placed on such theories. If a vialble hidden
    variable theory could be constructed then at a fundamental level we'd being
    dealing with a deterministic physics again - although perhaps quite different
    from the classical variety, with non-local interactions &c. Theologically one
    would think of God concurring with the processes described by the hidden
    variables, & then in your scenario we'd have to ask what God does differently
    in a few biologically significant events. It seems to me that we'd have to
    fall back to an interventionist or "miraculous" explanation for them - i.e.,
    for some events the laws that normally describe the hidden variables would be
    violated.
        It probably seems that all I'm doing here is pointing out problems.
    Exactly! I think that getting a coherent view of how God acts (or doesn't act)
    at the quantum level is a significant theological puzzle, connected with the
    fact that we don't have an adequate understanding of the measurement problem in
    QM as a problem of physics.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy