Re: Ruest response

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 13:33:45 EST

    george murphy wrote:

> [...]
    > > > measurements. If we look at it from a theological viewpoint, God may
    > > > decree that a certain mutation happens, in a second case he may decree a
    > > > spectrum of possible mutations, and in a third case he may just do
    > > > nothing, having decreed the mutation mechanisms with their stochastic
    > > > properties at the beginning of life.
    > >
    > > GLM: Again, you're focussing on biological issues but the problem is
    > > broader than that. It involves every case of an electron being observed in
    > > one place rather than another. I agree that we aren't required to accept the
    > > principle of sufficient reason but it seems to me, as I said, "troubling," to
    > > have to drop it and say that some things happen for no reason at all. & this
    > > is especially so because we would not be saying simply that there is no
    > > natural cause that it happens that way. We would be saying that God is not
    > > even the cause of that event.
    > >
    > > PR: OK, let me try a hand at "collapsing wave packets"! What would it
    > > mean if God didn't collapse certain wave packets individually, namely
    > > those he doesn't care about, because any result of their collapsing
    > > would not make any difference in his plans? Instead, they could collapse
    > > in a genuinely random manner, God having specified, at the big bang, a
    > > global "hidden variable" describing the pattern to which their
    > > collapsing has to conform (or would that not even be a hidden variable,
    > > but the known probability distribution?). So, these really random events
    > > would not "happen for no reason at all". God would truly be the Author
    > > of the results specified individually at any given time in the history
    > > of the universe, as well as the Author of those specified collectively,
    > > as a Gaussian or other distribution, at the big bang.
    > >
    > > If such a scheme could be acceptable in physics, maybe an analogous
    > > distinction of individual vs. collective specifications could be applied
    > > to biological mutations. God would be the Author of all elementary
    > > events having usual probabilities, as well as the Author of
    > > transastronomically improbable ones, which he would specify individually
    > > and purposefully, thus introducing additional information into the
    > > system at specific places and times.
    >
    > A lot of attempts have been made to introduce hidden variables into QM but
    > very severe constraints have been placed on such theories. If a vialble hidden
    > variable theory could be constructed then at a fundamental level we'd being
    > dealing with a deterministic physics again - although perhaps quite different
    > from the classical variety, with non-local interactions &c. Theologically one
    > would think of God concurring with the processes described by the hidden
    > variables, & then in your scenario we'd have to ask what God does differently
    > in a few biologically significant events. It seems to me that we'd have to
    > fall back to an interventionist or "miraculous" explanation for them - i.e.,
    > for some events the laws that normally describe the hidden variables would be

    If you come to these conclusions, I have used the concept of a "hidden
    variable" in the wrong way. What I meant was to suggest that God may
    have decreed genuine chance outcomes for most elementary events, yet
    reserve for himself the liberty of making a selection among all possible
    outcomes for certain events he deems of particular importance for a
    certain goal. In this way, the whole system would not be deterministic,
    and God's selective acts would not constitute any "miraculous"
    interventions violating any of his laws (they could not be detected by
    science).

    Peter