Re: Consciousness

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 20:02:55 EST

    Tom Pearson wrote:

    > This question has been chewed over by philosophers (and others) for a very
    > long time now, in one way or another, going back to the ancient Greeks. I
    > think the debate over consciousness -- particularly in its contemporary
    > incarnation -- needs to be unpacked a little more. For one thing, I think
    > that discussions of consciousness need to be related to current
    > investigations in brain science -- modularity, neural networks, and the
    > like -- rather than to the traditional conundrum of mind-body dualism.
    > Some folks, like the non-atheist John Searle, have been arguing for a
    > generation that neither dualistic nor monistic approaches to understanding
    > the mind-body problem work very well when applied to the problem of
    > consciousness, and that new insights from neurobiology is the place to
    > begin our inquiry into the nature of consciousness. In other words,
    > consciousness is not a new version of the mind-body problem.
    >
    > I suppose I would find myself at the opposite end of the spectrum from
    > Burgy on this matter. I don't know enough chemistry to answer the first
    > question with any confidence. But with regard to the second question --
    > "Is consciousness biology writ large?" -- my answer would be, "In all
    > likelihood, yes." It seems to me that there is more contemporary evidence
    > suggesting a neurobiological basis for consciousness than there is evidence
    > supporting some other mode of explanation. As the evidence changes, so too
    > would my answer to this question.

    Interestingly, I find it curious that you are able to
    agree that consciousness is biology writ large, yet don't
    feel confident about saying that chemistry is physics writ
    large. As a scientist working on protein/RNA interactions
    at a molecular level, chemistry stands in the gap for me.
    My whole science education seems to have been one of starting
    on the journey somewhere around philosophy, gradually
    gravitating toward physics via chemistry, and then gradually
    climbing back up through the ranks into biology. I expect
    that the "journey" has not ended, but biology is where I am
    right now.

    Chemistry has given me enormous appreciation for the
    interactions of biopolymers that I don't think I could
    have gained from a physics education alone, yet at the
    same time without the physics education, I don't think
    I would have appreciated the chemistry as much.

    I hesitate to insist on some ultra-reductionist view, but
    I will say that there is a *tendency* for a strong hierarchy
    of physics -> chemistry -> biology. However, like a mosaic,
    if you only look at a tiny fragment of a tile, you cannot
    recognize that it is a tile, and if you don't stand far
    away from the tiles, you never realize that you are looking
    at a breathtaking picture.

    I don't have any strong objections to Searle's view on
    consciousness as such, but I keep wrestling with how
    he seems to sidestep the issue. He makes it clear that
    ultra-reductionists force consciousness into a third-person
    frame that ultimately eliminates consciousness altogether.
    That I agree with. Indeed, since a Turing machine based
    brain is almost surely an unworkable model for the human
    brain --- see Penrose and others --- we are _probably_ wise
    to dispense with such incredibly simple-minded (and rather
    sectarian) views of the mind.

    However, in its place, Searle argues for an "irreducibility
    of consciousness". That naturally begs the question from a
    scientist like myself, "*why* is it irreducible?". Penrose
    tries to answer this with his idea of quantum mechanics and
    microtubules. I am not currently convinced about the
    microtubules. However, his idea of quantum mechanics is
    interesting and maybe it has a place somewhere in this.
    As a potential artificial mind, I will go the stretch to say
    that it *might* be possible.

    Presently, I would say we have three options for addressing
    Searle's position: chaos, some unforeseen QM backdoor such
    as quantum chaos, or some completely unforeseen reality of
    matter. I will not rule out the third possibility but it
    doesn't make any progress in this discussion. Chaos does
    potentially allow a system of local interactions to take
    on a global character. However, at the heart of it, chaos
    is deterministic and therefore we are forced back into the
    ultra-reductionist camp where we must accept a nonexistence
    of consciousness. That leaves us with quantum chaos (which
    may yet be a promising avenue and is NOT!!! deterministic),
    however, it is rather unclear how we can model quantum chaos
    in with all the other chaotic interactions that happen in a
    "living system" like the brain. At any rate, the "wet"
    chemistry of the brain makes digital ones and zeros a rather
    questionable proposition.

    So the upshot of that is I would say "probably yes" to both
    questions with the added proviso that the complexity of these
    system make narrow-minded reductionism a barbaric abuse of
    both science and philosophy.

    by Grace we proceed,
    Wayne