Consciousness

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 10:53:05 EST

    The question posed is this: "Is consciousness real?"

    The philosopher Michael Polanyi posits the reality of consciousness, and
    advocates its ontological irreducibility to physics and chemistry by
    appeal to the concepts of emergence, boundary conditions and the like.

    And the physicist-clergyman Polkinghorne asked this question, "If
    chemistry is physics writ large, can we be as sure that biology is
    chemistry writ large."

    The question of consciousness then follows; "Is consciousness biology
    writ large?"

    While there are certainly orthodox Christian theologians who would answer
    Polkinghorne's question with a "yes," Van Till being one, I believe, I am
    not aware of any that would assent to the second question. It would
    appear that the atheistic community, represented in this case by Dawkins
    and Weinberg, would assert a "yes" to both questions.

    My own view is that both questions deserve a "no" answer, or at the very
    least, the first is "probably no" and the second an "absolutely no."

    Comments anyone?

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)