Sweat in ungulates was: Glenn's comments

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 21:10:31 EST

    Folks,

    May I suggest that the Glen's page on sweating, while reflecting some of
    the anthropological literature does not entirely agree with some of the
    biologic research on heat removal in mammals.

    Glenn seems to think that "the human sweating system is uniquely capable
    of performing that function (cooling not only the face and the rest of
    the body and blood." p. 91 of his ASA article He seems to think
    following Bernard Campell that primates and almost all mammals sweat
    very little. I know that is not true of at least the ungulates (horses
    and cows etc) who do sweat well. I checked my memory out with Vaughan's
    Mammology and remember reading about sweating camels in
    Gauthier-Pilthers H. and Dagg A. 1981.(The camel, its evolution,
    ecology, behavior, and relationship to man. University of Chicago Press.
    Chicago). I know that many mammals have been shown to have sweat
    glands only in some areas - but I also get the feeling that in many
    cases the skin histology has simply not been done. In any case
    ungulates clearly sweat efficiently and do other mammals from certain
    areas of their body. Gunthier-Pilthers even state that camel sweating
    under hair is more efficient and cite research done on shorn camels to
    back it up.

    I have previously corresponded privately and extensively with Glenn in
    the past on this topic and have no desire to get into a long debate.
    However, I do not see much change in his position on the current web
    page and still think the anthropological literature differs from some of
    the biological research on heat removal especially in desert animals.

    --
    James and Florence Mahaffy    712 722-0381 (Home)
    227 S. Main St.              712 722-6279 (Office)