Sweat in ungulates was: Glenn's comments

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 20:50:30 EST

    James,

    This really frustrates me. And this note is rather blunt.

    We did indeed go around twice on this issue. Both
    times you have accused me of not knowing the data. The
    first (in 1997) was after the PSCF article was published but our discussion
    wasn't about the PSCF article. It was about a post I had made to the ASA.
    You had interpreted my comments as saying that there was no sweating except
    in humans, which is absolutely false,and was never advocated by me. No where
    can you find me saying that there is no sweating in any other animal. Our
    1997
    discussion was about the post which had been turned into a web page. I made
    some corrections we discussed and now you are saying things haven't changed.
    You can't say that I haven't listened to you as I noted your objection in
    the
    parenthesis on my web page
    http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/sweat.htm
    --you are the biologist referred to there. You told me in one of these
    rounds
    that camels sweat more than humans but never provided any DATA to back up
    that
    assertion. Below I will perform a calculation to show how silly such an idea
    is.

    The next discussion we had was in 1999 and was about a comment I made about
    the reversal of blood flow into the cranium when humans are under heat
    streass. You were quite adamant that this couldn't be the case and said it
    didn't happen like that. You accused me of not knowing biology and indeed of
    not knowing that blood flowed in a circle. I documented the FACT that
    during
    heat stress the blood in the emissary veins of the head do reverse direction
    and you agreed that it was a phenomenon of which you were
    unfamiliar. See the very end of this for what I wrote you at that time.
    I provide this so that we don't have to go around again about that issue.

    This topic seems to bug you. Why, I don't know but every time I say
    something
    on this topic you seem to imply that I don't believe that ungulates
    sweat. There appears to be something theological rather than scientific in
    your
    constantly raising the same issues over and over. The fact that the web page
    I referred
    everyone to discusses sweating in ungulates should dispell that notion
    (implicit in the title of this thread) but it doesn't seem to work in your
    case! Elands sweat 5.5 liters of water per 100 kg of body weight; Oryx's
    sweat 1.87 liters per 100 kg body weight. But humans can sweat 48 liters of
    water per 100 kg of body weight! That certainly is 'unique' in my
    perspective. If you have DATA, not opinion, that would correct this please
    let me know but unless you can come up with an animal that beats that rate
    of sweating then I don't think your comments are worthy of much
    consideration especially given what is ON MY WEB PAGE. more comments below.

     Of course there is sweating in ungulates and in primates. Compared to man,
    they sweat very little. ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU CAN COME UP WITH *****DATA*****
    WHICH SHOWS THAT ANIMALS SWEAT AS MUCH AS MAN THEN YOU HAVE A POINT. But
    until then the above is mere quantitatively vacuus opinion! I document on
    the web page the quantitiative rates of sweating, which you continue to
    ignore and offer no data to back up your assertions.

    Campbell is NOT saying that they don't sweat at all but that they sweat
    little. To claim that they sweat little presumes that they CAN sweat! But
    it is a lot less than in humans. Humans are capable of moving more water
    through their system via sweat than any other animal--about 2 liters per
    hour at max. Please provide documentation that any other animal can move
    water through their system at this rate compared to their body weight! If
    you can't, then you should cease claiming that I am wrong about the biology
    here.

    As to chimps sweating, they sweat little (compared to man) because they live
    in a rain forest, and the high humidity there makes sweating less efficient.
    YES JAMES, THEY SWEAT BUT NOT A LOT. I stand by that until you can produce
    DATA to contradict it.

    And I suppose you would think that the Encycloped Britannica is wrong as
    well. It says primate sweat glands aren't very effective at cooling:
    "Sweat glands on the hairy skin of subhuman primates probably function
    subliminally or not at all, although they are structurally similar to those
    of man. The skin of monkeys and apes remains dry even in a hot environment.
    Profuse thermal sweating in man, then, seems to be a new function." ~ "Skin,
    Human", Encyclopedia Britannica,16, (Chicaco: Encyl. Brit., 1982), p. 843

    NOTE THAT THEIR SKIN REMAINS DRY IN THE ABOVE SITUATION.

    And note the difference between humans and primates in distribution of the
    sweat glands:

    "In most non-human primates (again excluding gorillas and chimpanzees)
    eccrine glands are only found on surfaces used in locomotion (the soles of
    the hands and feet, and among the dermatoglyphics found on places of high
    friction, like the tails of prehensile species or the knuckle pads of
    knuckle-walkers. There are two phylogenetically distinguishable types of
    eccrine glands, those found in the friction areas of most species of
    primates and many other mammals, and the ones found in humans, chimpanzees,
    and gorillas throughout the entirety of their body. In humans, the eccrine
    glands of the volar surfaces of the hands and feet begin to develop around
    three-and-a-half months of fetal development, and the remaining eccrine
    glands begin forming separately around five-and-a-half months (Montagna
    1985; Robertshaw 1985)." http://www.humanevolution.f2s.com/anth501.html

    You keep focussing in on the word 'unique'. THat doesn't mean that no other
    animal has sweat glands. I have told you this privately before. It means
    that ours is unique in the quantity of water that can be expelled in a short
    time. Why you can't or won't remember this is something I don't understand.
    Our system of sweating is more efficient than any other animal on a per kg
    basis. If not, prove me wrong with DATA! I have asked for this before and
    not gotten it from you. All I have gotten is a response that you don't have
    time to go do the research. And the fact that we continue to go around
    about this means that you aren't listening or learning.

    I know that is not true of at least the ungulates (horses
    >and cows etc) who do sweat well. I checked my memory out with Vaughan's
    >Mammology and remember reading about sweating camels in
    >Gauthier-Pilthers H. and Dagg A. 1981.

    As I said before it does not mean that animals don't sweat. I never said
    that. INDEED ON THE VERY WEB PAGE I REFERRED EVERYONE TO I DISCUSSED THE
    SWEATING IN ELAND'S AND ORYX'S WHO ARE UNGULATES, YET YOU SEEM TO SAY THAT I
    DON'T BELIEVE THAT THEY SWEAT. THIS ALONE SHOULD SUFFICE TO DISPROVE YOUR
    CRITICISM. And we have argued over this precise issue before. How many more
    times must we go around about it, James?

    (The camel, its evolution,
    >ecology, behavior, and relationship to man. University of Chicago Press.
    >Chicago). I know that many mammals have been shown to have sweat
    >glands only in some areas - but I also get the feeling that in many
    >cases the skin histology has simply not been done.

    Science works on 'feeling'? James, just because you haven't studied this
    area, doesn't mean that others haven't. The skin histology has been done but
    you haven't read it! How do you think it can be said that lower primates
    have
    eccrine glands mostly on the volar surfaces if they hadn't done the
    histological
    work? They ultimately came from histological studies! Do you think
    the anthropologists or the Encylopedia Britannica just made the things up?

    And here you once again raise the camel issue, which I reference in the
    first paragraph of the web page. But once again, you provide no quantitative
    data for this. I provided Vaughn's quote to you on Jan. 2, 1997, showing
    that mammals are not all alike in sweating..

    Terry Vaughn, Mammalogy (Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co., 1972) states:

    "In man and some ungulates sweat glands are broadly distributed over the
    body
    surface, but in most mammals they are more restricted. In some
    insectivores,
    rodents, and carnivores, sweat glands occur only on the feet or on the
    venter,
    and they are comppletely lacking in the Cetacea and in some bats and
    rodents.
    hair follicles are supplied with sebaceous glands; their oil secretion
    lubricates the hair and the skin. " P. 7

    Of course the camel sweats. But he can't sweat at a human rate or he could
    not go several days without water in the heat of the Sahara. Camel's allow
    their body temperature to rise as much as 11 degrees C to lower the sweating
    rate. I checked the Grolier's encyclopedia for the following data. A camel
    can be as hefty as 680 kg and can lose 25% of his weight in water. So, a 600
    kg camel if he sweated as much as a human would go through 48 liters/100
    kg/day * 6= 288 liters of water per day. Since they can go without water for
    7-9 days that means that their bodies must store 2592 liters of water. Thus
    the camel MUST have a volume which is greater than 1000cc/liter X 2592
    liters = 2592000 cc. And since water weighs 1 g/cc the camel must be a
    behemoth which weights 2592 kg. Of course the weight of a camel is usually
    no more than 700 kg. So, yes a camel sweats, but no where near as great as a
    man. Lets look at this another way. If a camel can only lose 25% of his
    weight in water, that is 170 kg of water. As we have seen this if a camel
    sweated as severely as a human, then he would have to sweat more than that
    in a single day. Thus, if a camel sweats like a human, he can only go one
    day without water. QED. So, please provide data to back up the assertion
    that the camel sweating is as great as man. Man's sweating rate is unique--I
    stand by this and any suggestion that our sweating is not unique among the
    mammals displays a lack of knowledge of the topic as well as a lack of
    actually doing the above calculations which would show how silly the idea
    is.

    In any case
    >ungulates clearly sweat efficiently and do other mammals from certain
    >areas of their body. Gunthier-Pilthers even state that camel sweating
    >under hair is more efficient and cite research done on shorn camels to
    >back it up.

    It is Gauthier-Pilters AND Anne Innis Dagg, not Gunthier-Pilthers
    (mispelled) alone. It just kills me that you make a reference like this
    without actually giving any data. A furred animal which sweats 2 liters of
    water is less efficient than one which sweats 3 liters of water. Efficiency
    is a rate, quantity per hour per 100 kg. If the purpose is to examine heat
    removal, which is what we are talking about here, then the more water which
    can evaporate the more heat is removed in a shorter time. So, efficiency in
    heat removal is the system that removes more heat. Thus allowing 3 kg of
    water to evaporate in a given time is more efficient at heat removal than
    allowing only 2 kg of water to evaporate in the same time.

    I sent this to you January 8, 1997. And you are absolutely bass-akwards
    about sweating FOR HEAT REMOVAL under hair being more efficient. The entire
    reason mankind lost his hair was because the brain required heat removal and
    it was slower and less efficient under fur as Gauthier-Pilters and Anne
    Innis Dagg show.

    **begin**
     A furry animal simply cannot have as efficient a sweating mechanism as a
    hairless one. I will agree that a kg of water evaporated will remove the
    same
    amount of heat whether under fur or not. But fur will seriously hinder
    evaporation. I do not have the data for dogs, but I do have it for camels.
    Consider this:

    "Their total water expenditure per day was 3 liters per 100 kilograms body
    weight in the shorn animal and only 2 liters in the unshorn camel. Thus a
    shorn camel with fur 0.5-1 centimeters long would evaporate 50 percent more
    water than would an animal with unshorn fur. The temperature at the fur
    surface was as high as 70-80 C, so the temperature gradient through the fur
    was more than 30 C."~Hilde Gauthier-Pilters and Anne Innis Dagg, The Camel,
    (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1981), p. 73

    Think about the physics and you will see why fur hinders the efficiency of
    sweating.

    1. Fur hinders the free flow of air. The air under the fur becomes
    saturated
    and must be replaced by dry air for heat to be removed.

    2. Water on the skin under the fur is cooler than water would be on the open
    skin. Cooler temperature means slower evaporation and less heat removed per
    unit time.

    3. Some of the sweat under the fur will be stuck to the hair itself. When
    it
    evaporates, it cools the hair, which does not have the same effect as
    cooling
    the skin, under which flows the blood. It is the blood which needs to be
    cooled so that it can cool the interior of the body.
    **end**

    The heat removed when a gram of water is evaporated is 600 calories. A
    liter is 1000 g. Thus 3 liters on the shorn camel removes 3000*600=1.8
    million small calories, or in food calories terms, 1800 calories (these are
    the large calories) BUt 2 liters removes only 1200 large calories. The shorn
    camel is more efficient at heat removal. And until you can show that a
    furred camel sweats more than this, then you haven't shown that he is more
    efficient. The furred camel is more efficient AT WATER RETENTION BUT NOT
    HEAT REMOVAL.

    By the way, a camel sweats only 8.8 liters per 100 kg weight per day
    compared to man's 48 liters per 100 kg per day.

    >I have previously corresponded privately and extensively with Glenn in
    >the past on this topic and have no desire to get into a long debate.

    Yes, and haven't paid a bit of attention to what I have said.

    >However, I do not see much change in his position on the current web
    >page and still think the anthropological literature differs from some of
    >the biological research on heat removal especially in desert animals.

    THere is no need to change until you can provide documentation for your
    rather baseless assertions. I will add the above camel water calculation to
    my web page.

    Comments to James about the reversal of blood flow INTO the brain.

    Sat Jul 24 22:11:01 1999