Q: Numbers a "historian?" A: Yep.

From: Tim Ikeda (tikeda@sprintmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 22:59:30 EDT

    Allen Roy writes:
    [...reply to Burgy removed...]

    Tim Ikeda wrote:
    TI>I can't think of too many ways of using divine inspiration as an
    TI>accessible, historical explanation. At least, not in a way that
    TI>makes study possible. History, like science, tries to avoid hearsay
    TI>information and focus on that which can be documented. In that regard,
    TI>I don't see Ronald as being different from any other good historian.

    >The Bible tells us that there are both false and true prophets and tells us
    >how to know the difference. Any "historian" who denies or disallows divine
    >inspiration automatically brands all prophets false.

    Please be careful. Numbers may disallow divine inspiration as an
    explanatory mechanism available for a good historian but he does not
    *deny* the possibility. He's particularly explicit about that.

    In absolutely *no* case has he branded "all prophets false". Ronald
    makes a statement of the following form: "*IF* we presume that Ellen
    White was not divinely inspired, *THEN* it may follow from the
    available records that ..."

    >Any such "historian" is NOT the means God has chosen to divine truth and
    >falsehood.

    Numbers has *never* suggested otherwise and I would be skeptical of any
    historian that did.

    I notice that the term "historian" keeps appearing in quotes so as to
    suggest that Numbers is not a bona fide historian. I think this is
    a queer and ironic distinction to make. Historians are "common Joes"
    simply trying to fathom what happened in the past in the absence of access
    to divine inspiration. They don't claim to know the precise, true path of
    past events but deal instead in possibilities, subject to further revision
    as other data becomes available. For example, historical research initially
    suggested that some venereal disease spread from the New world to
    Europe. Recent evidence suggests that the VD had always existed in
    both areas. That's historical research. In contrast, someone that receives
    divine inspiration about past events is more properly called a prophet,
    oracle or seer. Those that use allegedly inspired testimony to understand
    past events should probably be called acolytes, or perhaps, believers.
    They may "know" the "true history" of an event, but ironically that does
    not make them historians. If anyone should be labelled as a
    quote-historian-unquote, it is person who relies on supernatural
    intervention.

    TI>All Ron does is show some similarities between some things that Ellen
    TI>has written and what others have written.
    TI> Yes, Ronald is acting exactly like a historian.

    >Yes, as any typical, evolutionary, atheistic, revisionist "historian."

    Which turns out to be the same way most of us pump gasoline as well:
    a-theistically.

    And, as Joel Cannon referenced in a URL, Numbers writes as any typical,
    professional, theistic historian.
    (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/005/1.42.html)
    There are also any number of Christian YECs that would write the same
    book about Ellen as Numbers did. Not YECs all are members of the SDA.

    >>But Ron thinks he has exposed Ellen as false prophet (he hasn't and
    >>couldn't) and therefore he has chosen to think of her as simply a
    >>deluded, religious person. It is no wonder that he was sacked from LLU.

    TI>Well, given that pseudo religious experiences abound for which we know
    TI>have many organic causes and that bona fide experiences are smaller in
    TI>number and difficult to document, delusion (temporary or chronic) is a
    TI>legitimate avenue of investigation.

    >As mentioned above, the Bible tells how to tell the true from the
    >false. And any 'historian' who is ignorant of this and or who denies
    >divine inspiration is incapable of finding truth.

    I suggest that the Bible is sufficiently sketchy about the
    criteria to make evaluations of alleged events of divine
    inspiration difficult. Clearly the existence of multiple schisms
    within the tree of Christianity (Roman Catholic, Greek
    Orthodox, Protestant, Mormon, SDA & etc.) supports that opinion.

    And I repeat: Please be careful. Numbers may disallow divine
    inspiration as an explanatory mechanism available for a good
    historian but he does not *deny* the possibility of such
    inspiration. Historical research, like science, cannot claim to
    find "Truth" (note the capital-T). Historians do what they
    can with the verifiable tools they have available.

    But, if you have any reliable, objective and generally
    accepted tests for supernatural intervention you'd care to
    suggest, perhaps I can help set them up.

    Here's one test for theistic history. I've written "Numbers was
    wrong to ignore divine intervention in his book about Ellen White"
    on a piece of paper and left it in the middle of my floor. I'll
    place a pen in my kitchen. Now tomorrow, if I wake up an see that
    pen driven through the note and imbedded in the oak floor below,
    I'll concede that supernatural mechanisms are resolvable and
    objectively verifiable explanations that should be included in
    historical studies.

    TI>In any case, we do know that individuals are shaped by the cultures
    TI>to which they are exposed. And considering the interplay of ideas
    TI>and the genesis of ideas in response to such interactions is
    TI>certainly a legitimate method of historical analysis.

    >We are influenced by our culture AND by our relationship with God. By
    >only focusing on a part of the equation you cannot find the true answer.

    I think there is great dispute among theists about what constitutes the
    other parts of the "equation". Those disputed, auxiliary details make
    all the difference. Would you expect a different book from Numbers if
    he'd been a devout Muslim or Taoist? A Quaker?

    TI>I don't think having an "impact on Creationism" was the intention.
    TI>His interest and his work as a historian was not to prove or disprove
    TI>creationism. Instead, Ronald's work have been to illustrate the
    TI>various patterns and describe the various movements within
    TI>creationism.

    >His book is filled from cover to cover jabs and innuendoes against
    >Creationism and Creationists.

    Perhaps it is an actual impossibility to discuss some claims of some
    of the YECs mentioned in the book and place them in the context of
    the general culture & science without some of the ideas looking
    somewhat "naive" or ill-informed. Certainly some of the ideas and
    beliefs some held were. Thus what may appear as a "jab" to someone may
    simply be considered a simple statement of fact to another. But YMMV
    (Your Mileage May Vary).

    TI>Again, Ronald's works as a historian have nothing to say about
    TI>whether creationism is correct or even which versions of
    TI>creationism are preferred.

    >The tone of the book is such that Creationism and Creationists are
    >illogical buffoons

    Oddly, I thought the book was exceptionally sympathetic. What a contrast
    of opinions!

    TI>Numbers says *nothing* about whether the Bible is the inspired word
    TI>of God. As a historian he is analyzing the impact and repercussions
    TI>of such belief, and tracing how various groups have interpreted and
    TI>accommodated such ideas.

    >Number's attitude toward any "divine inspiration" as illustrated in
    >his disallowing "divine inspiration" for someone who claims to have
    >received "divine inspiration" directly impacts the inspired word of God.
    >If you do it in one case, you must do it in all cases. Thus John, Daniel,
    >Isaiah and others could not have received "divine inspiration" because
    >there is no such thing, from a revisionist "historical" perspective.

    That's an odd, "slippery-slope" kind of argument, IMO. Surely there are
    any number of Christians that don't think Ellen White received divine
    inspiration but believe that John et al. did. In Islam, it is
    specifically stated that Mohammed was the last prophet. This would
    leave Ellen "out of the loop" for Muslims although they too accept
    explanations of divine inspiration in other cases. So clearly, one
    can accept divine inspiration in some instances while denying it in
    others (even categorically denying specific cases).

    Further, like the case of "theistic science", few if any people know how
    to objectively study or evaluate historical events within the context of
    divine intervention. Even YECs make attempts to frame some miraculous,
    Biblical events within the context of basic, non-theistic physics (eg.
    The "Hydroplate theory" of Walt Brown or feasibility studies about
    Noah's ark by others).

    >He calls himself an agnostic. In reality he is one of Christianity's
    >greatest enemies.

    Since when does the honest pursuit of possible, alternate explanations
    for alleged cases of divine inspiration make one the greatest enemy
    of Christianity? To me, that's like claiming the Enlightenment was
    actually the start of the Dark Ages.

    - Tim Ikeda
    tikeda@sprintmail.com