Re: Vernon's claim (2)

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 19:10:47 EDT

    John,

    Having just returned from holiday I would like to pick up one of the
    threads that you began before I left. You wrote:

    > I got this this morning from a friend. It seems to be somewhat along
    > the line of Vernon's claim. I think the analysis is flawed (the
    > "facts" are wrong mathematically) but the main problem with it is that
    > verses did not come along until way after the texts were written.

    > > > What is the shortest chapter in the Bible?
    > > > Answer - Psalms 117
    > > >
    > > > What is the longest chapter in the Bible?
    > > > Answer - Psalms 119
    > > >
    > > > Which chapter is in the center of the Bible?
    > > > Answer - Psalms 118
    > > >
    > > > Fact: There are 594 chapters before Psalms 118
    > > > Fact: There are 594 chapters after Psalms 118
    > > > Add these numbers up and you get 1188
    > > >
    > > > What is the center verse in the Bible?
    > > > Answer - Psalms 118:8
    > > >
    > > > Does this verse say something significant about God's
    > > > perfect will for our lives? The next time someone says
    > > > they would like to find God's perfect will for their lives
    > > > and that they want to be in the center of His will,
    > > > just send them to the center of His Word!
    > > >
    > > > Psalms 118:8 (NKJV) "It is better to trust in the LORD
    > > > than to put confidence in man."

    I have now carefully examined these interesting claims and conclude - as
    you have - that the analysis is seriously flawed. However, the truth of
    the matter still presents a major problem for people of your persuasion
    - as the following details reveal:

    1) The Bible has 1189 chapters; the central chapter is therefore
    numbered 595; this happens to be Psalm 117 - the shortest of all the
    chapters which takes the form of the powerful exhortation, "O PRAISE the
    LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people. For his merciful
    kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for
    ever. Praise ye the LORD." This psalm is part of the sequence known to
    Jews as the 'Hallel' (Psalms 113 - 118, inclusive) which features
    prominently in their festivals.

    How remarkable, therefore: the middle chapter is also the shortest! -
    and its base 10 ordinal position is a numerical palindrome! Its content
    also is not insignificant!

    2) These 1189 chapters comprise 31102 verses; the central pair are
    numbered 15551 (another paindrome!) and 15552, respectively. These are
    verses 1 and 2 of the beautiful Psalm 103 (and nowhere near the 8th
    verse of 118!). Here we read another exhortation, viz "Bless the LORD, O
    my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD,
    O my soul, and forget not all his benefits."

    There appears to be evidence of purposeful design here. But how can this
    be possible when the history of the chapter/verse divisions is
    considered? Here is a short extract from Daniel P.Fuller's "Chapters and
    Verses - Late Comers":

    "The present chapter divisions in our Bibles were invented in 1205 by
    Stephen Langton, a professor in Paris (he later became Archbishop of
    Canterbury), who put these into a Vulgate edition of the Bible. These
    chapter divisions were first used by the Jews in 1330 for the Hebrew Old
    Testament in a manuscript and for a printed edition in 1516. This system
    of chapter divisions likewise came into the Greek manuscripts of the New
    Testament in the 1400s.

    "It was Robert Stephanus, a Parisian book printer, whose versification
    of the Bible has prevailed to the present. He took over the verse
    divisions already indicated in the Hebrew Bible by the soph pasuq and
    assigned numbers to them within the chapter divisions already assigned
    by Stephan Langton. While riding on horseback from Paris to Lyons he
    affixed his own verse divisions to the New Testament and numbered them
    within Langton's chapter divisions. Consequently the quality of his work
    was not the best. Von Soden complained,

      The verse divisions of Stephanus which he, according to an incidental
      remark by his son, made during a trip from Paris to Lyons, frequently
      do not do service to the sense of the text. There is no consistent
      method at work in this system. The verses sometimes coincide with a
      single sentence, and sometimes they include several sentences;
      sometimes a single sentence is divided into two verses, with the
      result that the reader is led to consider the second verse while
      forgetting the point of view of the first verse. Especially
      objectionable is the way in which words introducing a direct quotation
      sometimes belong to the preceding verse and sometimes to the verse in
      which the quotation is found.

    "But through Stephanus the versification of the Old Testament found its
    way into the Hebrew Bible printed first in 1571. Then Theodor Beza's use
    of Stephanus' verse and chapter divisions in his edition of the textus
    receptus of the New Testament (1565) assured them the permanence that
    they enjoy in our Bibles today."

    (for further details: http://www.fuller.edu/ministry/berean/chs_vss.htm)

    John, I suggest that these facts are completely in keeping with my own
    findings, and with Richard's 'BibleWheel'. They are further evidence of
    the Creator's direct involvement in clothing his word with a series of
    independent phenomena that confirm (a) its integrity, and (b) his being
    and sovereignty.

    [For those who may be interested in confirming the foregoing details for
    themselves, I will gladly make available the chapter- and verse-count
    data on request.]

    Concerning the other matters you have raised in connection with my
    thesis, I shall be responding soon.

    Regards,

    Vernon

    http://www.otherbiblecode.com