Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 15:51:33 EDT

    Hi Dave;

    I asked:

    You wrote:

    > Your question seems to me to assume that somehow God is in time
    > eternally. I contend that this is not possible if he is the Creator of
    > time, space and mass-energy.

    If time is abstracted to change (i.e. more than entropy arrows) -- then
    God is in time in that things that are not Holy (i.e. non - Divine) are
    changing "around Him". If Holy implies Other, then the statement God is
    alone Holy can be understood (among other things :-) ) as meaning God is
    not changing ontologically; but this doesn't preclude God existing in an
    ever changing environment (heaven). All we know of God is found in Christ
    and it is evident from the Christian doctrine of incarnation, that God
    indulges in limiting Himself to temporality as we observe it. What is
    eternal can be thought of as timeless only in that there is no beginning or
    ending.

    > Our Lord declared that no one comes to the Father except through him.
    > This is a limitation. Could he have set things up differently. Of course.
    > Could he change that? He declares that his statements are true. So what
    > he has established he will not change.
    > Dave

    But what about the New Covenant; is it not different than the Old? And what
    of God's winking at divorce? He has changed His relationship with us and
    will do so again.

    Sincerely
    George A.

    --