Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 13:40:44 EDT

    Please, George, respond to what I say. I specified measurement with a
    protractor. Even the parallax measurements by astronomers are not made
    with setting circles but against the most distant stars on the plates. A
    similar technique was used by Eddington in his early evidence for the
    General Theory. There is abundant evidence that Einstein is right, so
    that the universe is Riemannian rather than Euclidean, but none of the
    evidence comes from the measurement of angles by using protractors.

    Also, my statement about a non-theistic view, apparently proposed to
    avoid a unique creation event, is not incompatible with a Creator
    producing alternate universes. Indeed, one may so construe the creation
    of angels, though their "world" apparently is not totally independent
    from our physical universe. But this is an area where solid data on our
    affecting them is arguably slim to none. However, the note about the ASA
    statement of faith involves something I had not noticed.
    Dave