Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 15:29:14 EDT

    "D. F. Siemens, Jr." wrote:

    > Please, George, respond to what I say. I specified measurement with a
    > protractor. Even the parallax measurements by astronomers are not made
    > with setting circles but against the most distant stars on the plates. A
    > similar technique was used by Eddington in his early evidence for the
    > General Theory. There is abundant evidence that Einstein is right, so
    > that the universe is Riemannian rather than Euclidean, but none of the
    > evidence comes from the measurement of angles by using protractors.

    Dave - I thought I was responding to what you said but assumed that
    "protractors" stood for all instruments for measurement of angles. I'm
    sorry I misunderstood. Of course it's true that the deviation of spatial
    geometry from that of Euclid is so small in our vicinity that it can't be
    measured with protractors. If you were near the event horizon of a black
    hole you could measure the deviation that way - before you got pulled apart!

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/