Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: psiigii (psiigii@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 02:34:07 EDT

    Tom,

    Why does "a deity who limits himself" wreak havoc with the traditional
    Christian doctrine of God?
    BTW, I limit myself in this discussion to Christian doctrine as expounded in
    the Bible, codified in the major creeds (Apostles', Nicene, Anasthasian) and
    taught in the mainstream historic "evangelical" tradition (early church to
    present).

    Reflecting on "God limiting Himself", we see numerous examples in scripture.
    In regard to sin, Isa 43:25, Isa 44:22, Jer 31:33-34, Jer 50:20, Mic 7:19
    and NT passages quoting these passages tell us that God limits Himself in
    regard to our sins: when we repent and confess them He remembers them no
    more. How God, being omniscient, does this, is a mystery, but His word
    affirms it repeatedly.

    In regard to salvation, 2 Pet. 3:9 (most notable among several similar
    verses) affirms He desires all to be saved. Isa 50:2 & 59:1 affirm that
    "[God's] hand is not shortened that... it cannot save..." Yet all are not
    saved. Why? Either God has limited His operation (so all aren't saved) or
    God is too weak to save all--a nonstarter for any who affirm traditional
    Christian doctrines. This particular limitation is even more severe when
    one considers that God made and preserves the wicked the for day of
    destruction (Pro. 16:4, Rom 9:22 2 Pet 2:3-9).

    The NT is has a great deal more to say in regard to salvation (neglecting
    Calvinistic-Arminian arguments re God's predestination) with regard to How
    people come to salvation. Yes, it is by God working alone--imparting within
    us the gift of faith-- that we are saved (Eph. 2:8-10), but God has again
    limited Himself in how His message goes to the world: the church is His
    messenger. Much more can be said along this line too.

    If, in regard to the most weighty matter in creation--the redemption of
    mankind, God has limited Himself in a;; the above ways, why couldn't God
    also limit Himself in creation? Why did God create as He did? Whether YEC
    (6 days) or OEC (ages)--why didn't God do it all instantaneously? Isn't He
    great enough to do so? If He is, and He chose to create as we ascertain
    through our senses--in a much, much longer time frame-- one must admit that
    God limited Himself in creation! The pattern of creation reveals His
    character and consistency.

    Howard

    Likewise, God can limit Himself any way He pleases.