Re: Ellen White, Price, and YEC

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 23:18:47 EDT

    In a message dated 8/27/01 11:16:46 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
    gmurphy@raex.com writes:

    << Some of Pascal's notes relevant to the question of natural theology
     are as follows:

     It is a remarkable thing that no canonical writer ever used nature as a
     proof of God's existence. All set out to convince us of it. But David,
     Solomon, and the rest never said: 'There is no void; therefore there is
     a God.' They must have been cleverer than the cleverest of their
     successors, every one of whom has used this argument. The fact is worth
     pondering on.

     If it is a sign of weakness to have used nature as a proof of God, do
     not despise Scripture for it; if it is a sign of strength to have
     recognized these contradictions, give Scripture the credit for it.

     What meets our eyes denotes neither a total absence nor a manifest
     presence of the divine, but the presence of a God who conceals himself.
     Everything bears this stamp.

             These are, respectively, #s 6 and 7 on p.32 and # 602 on p.222
     of the Penguin edition of The Pensees.

     Shalom,

     George

     George L. Murphy
     http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/
     "The Science-Theology Interface"

    In addition to the quotes George has cited, I would add:

    "If he had wished to overcome the obstinacy of the most hardened, he could
    have done so by revealing himself to them so plainly that they could not
    doubt the truth of his essence, as he will appear on the last day with such
    thunder and lightning and such convulsions of nature that the dead will rise
    up and the blindest will see him. This is not the way he wished to appear
    when he came in mildness, because so many men had shown themselves unworthy
    of his clemency, that he wished to deprive them of the good they did not
    desire. It was therefore not right that he should appear in a manner
    manifestly divine and absolutely capable of convincing all men, but neither
    was it right that that his coming should be so hidden that he could not be
    recognized by those who sincerely sought him. He wished to make himself
    perfectly recognizable to them. Thus wishing to appear openly to those who
    seek him with all their heart and hidden from those who shun him with all
    their heart, he has qualified our knowledge of him by giving signs which can
    be seen by those who seek him and not by those who do not.
    There is enough light for those who desire only to see, and enough darkness
    for those of a contrary disposition" [part of #149, p. 79-80, Penguin edition]

    "And that is why I shall not undertake here to prove by reasons from nature
    either the existence of God, or the Trinity or the immortality of the soul,
    or anything of that kind: not just because I should not feel competent to
    find in nature arguments which would convince hardened atheists, but also
    because such knowledge, without Christ, is useless and sterile. Evin if
    someone were convinced that the proportions between numbers are immaterial,
    eternal truths, depending on a first truth in which they subsist, called God,
    I should not consider that he had made much progress towards his salvation."
    [part of #449, p. 169, Penguin edition]

    The first quote speaks to the idea of argument TO design versus argument FROM
    design (as D. Livingstone has argued) or dependent versus independent natural
    theology (as George Murphy--following T. Torrance--has emphasized).

    The second quote speaks to the point that has been repeatedly made on this
    list and emphasized by George M. is his PSCF article of about a year ago.

    By the way, my apologies for not responding after comments on my post. After
    sending the message, I was offline for about a week. I'm just getting back.
    Also, Michael Roberts message was difficult for me to unscramble from the
    archive, but I think he was making the point that much "common knowledge" of
    Paley is incorrect. However, in this case Darwin seems to have understood
    Paley in the commonly accepted way. In this case, how Paley was read and
    interpreted by Darwin has been more important for subsequent history than
    whatever Paley "really" meant. [That, at least, is a legitimate point made
    by the deconstructionist/poststructuralist crowd.)

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com