Alter our DNA or robots will take over, warns Hawking

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 15:35:53 EDT

    Alter our DNA or robots will take over, warns Hawking
    Special report: the ethics of genetics

    Nick Paton Walsh
    Sunday September 2, 2001
    The Observer

    Stephen Hawking, the acclaimed scientist and writer, reignited the debate over
    genetic engineering yesterday by recommending that humans change their DNA
    through genetic modification to keep ahead of advances in computer technology
    and stop intelligent machines from 'taking over the world'.

    He made the remarks in an interview with the German magazine Focus. Because
    technology is advancing so quickly, Hawking said, 'computers double their
    performance every month'. Humans, in contrast, are developing much more
    slowly, and so must change their DNA make-up or be left behind. 'The danger is
    real,' he said, 'that this [computer] intelligence will develop and take over
    the world.'

    Hawking, author of the best-selling A Brief History Of Time and a professor of
    mathematics at Cambridge University, recommended 'well-aimed manipulation' of
    human genes. Through this humans could 'raise the complexity of... the DNA
    [they are born with], thereby improving people'. He conceded the road to
    genetic modification would be a long one but said: 'We should follow this road
    if we want biological systems to remain superior to electronic ones.'

    He also advocated cyber-technology - direct links between human brains and
    computers. 'We must develop as quickly as possible technologies that make
    possible a direct connection between brain and computer, so that artificial
    brains contribute to human intelligence rather than opposing it.'

    While scientists are excited by the huge possibilities of genetic engineering
    and human interaction with machines, ethicists urge caution as the experiments
    could go wrong.

    Sue Mayer, director of policy research group Genewatch, rounded on Hawking's
    remarks. 'He is trying to take the debate about genetic engineering in the
    wrong direction,' she said. 'It is naive to think that genetic engineering
    will help us stay ahead of computers.'

    Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2001