Re: Alter our DNA or robots will take over, warns Hawking

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 06:45:55 EDT

    In a post (submitted by Moorad Alexanian)
    The Observer claims:

    > Stephen Hawking, the acclaimed scientist and writer, reignited the debate
    > over
    > genetic engineering yesterday by recommending that humans change their DNA
    > through genetic modification to keep ahead of advances in computer
    > technology
    > and stop intelligent machines from 'taking over the world'.

    It must have been a very bad day for a brilliant mind
    like Hawking to fall into such a depression.

    First, whereas we are becoming increasingly dependent
    on the machines, I don't think we understand enough
    about what being human is about to say much about
    what a machine is really capable of.

    Second, it is not clear from the article if Hawking
    was referring to conventional Turing computers or
    quantum computers. My guess is that he is intelligent
    enough to realize that the wet chemistry of the
    brain is quite different from a feebly reminiscent
    bit based conception found in neural network. The
    signal transmission properties and physical states
    of the brain appear far more interesting and
    sophisticated.

    However, a quantum computer _might_ rival
    human intelligence when (or if) such a system were
    eventually constructed. Whereas I am not convinced
    that Penrose is right about the human brain functioning
    as a quantum computer, his idea of achieving "understanding"
    via quantum mechanic seems at least reasonable (although
    speculative).

    Ironically, although we humans can claim that
    there is no God, such a truly thinking machine
    would probably have to admit a "creator". Is it
    possible for a such a proposed machine to believe
    in God?

    Then again, it could also go this way:
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200009/0157.html

    by Grace we proceed,