astrology & ASA's big tent

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 12:14:54 EDT

            The following item, headed "Astrology schools wins
    accreditation", appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal of 28 August 2001.

            "The Astrological Institute, a modest school in downtown Phoenix
    where students learn to write horoscopes and give advice about the
    future, has won accreditation from a federally recognized body in what's
    believed to be a first for a school of astrology.
            The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of
    Technology has certified that the school's teachers are qualified and
    that its graduates can be placed in jobs.
            The institute where students take courses such as 'master class
    on the asteroid goddesses' and 'how to write an astrological column' can
    now seek approval from the U.S. Education Department for its students to
    get federal grants and loans."

            In view of this, and in the spirit of a recent post to this list
    saying that ASA should be a "big tent", should people who have degrees
    in astrology from an accredited institution and fulfill other criteria
    for membership qualify for ASA membership?

            "But seriously folks" - that "big tent" appeal was on behalf of
    YECs. Yes, a person who believes the universe to be ~6000 years old can
    be a member of ASA. The organization is a broad tent in that sense & I
    don't suggest that we change that. & yes, a person who believes in the
    scientific validity of astrology can also be a member - though I don't
    know of any who are. But are we, for that reason, required as
    scientists to take seriously the claims of astrology? Of a young earth
    view? Is there really any substantive difference?

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/