Re: Ikedaian Cabalism

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 17:21:31 EDT

    Tim Ikeda wrote:

    > I recently made the startling discovery that when I measure the
    > circumference of a circle and divide that number by twice the
    > circle's radius, the value of pi appears! I've been able to confirm
    > this result to three decimal places so far, using no more than a
    > simple protractor and a ruler.

            It goes without saying that I'm mightily impressed by all your
    discoveries. I think it's even more interesting that you apparently grew
    up in a culture where a great deal of progress had been made in algebra
    and analysis while almost nothing had been done in geometry. I would
    guess that pi had been defined by some formula such as
                            pi/4 = 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ....
    or in terms of some integral like a gamma function. The discovery that
    the same number occurred in an elementary geometry problem would then
    have been quite a surprise.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy