RE: Answersingenesis

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 20:33:52 EST

    Take off one afternoon to drive to the next village for a haircut and come
    back to find the electronic mailbox full with correspondence on a new topic!
    ;-)

    I'm not all that surprised to see the numbers that John cites, nor am I
    surprised to learn that YEC is alive and well and that this is reflected,
    among other, in comparing numbers of visitors to ASA and YEC-based sites or
    numbers of attendees at various meetings.

    I don't see any particular mystery in the support that the YEC-based views
    are receiving in the evangelical arena. If one holds to a literal (or
    near-literal) interpretation and ignores the geological record, a YEC-based
    view makes perfectly good sense. Since there are many more Bible-reading
    Christians than Christian geologists, a YEC-based view will no doubt
    predominate.

    Over the last few years since I started "lurking" on (in?) this forum I've
    noticed a marked decrease in the YEC-OEC debate. Rather than thinking that
    this means that the YEC-based supporters have "lost" the argument, it's more
    likely that many of the YEC adherents have simply given up.

    I want to pose another question: how many of "you out there" grew up with a
    literal interpretation of the Biblical narrative and when, and what caused
    you to change your views to your current view?

    With "literal interpretation" I mean an actual Adam and Eve, walking and
    communing with God in a lush garden, surrounded by an impenetrable wall
    (remember the angels with flaming swords at the gates), a factual murder of
    Abel by Cain, the flooding of the entire world, an honest-to-goodness
    floating axe head, the collapse of the walls of Jericho, etc.

    What changed your views from this interpretation? Was it a pastor?
    catechism classes? the results of a Bible study? a friend? a geology course?
    Now picture a typical parishioner: he or she grew up with the same Bible
    stories, underwent the same type of instruction in catechism class, and may
    have participated in many Bible studies. He or she may not have had the
    benefit of a geology course, though.

    My gut reaction is not to make too much of the spectacular success that the
    YEC supporters appear to have (at least in the US). The worst may be that
    it puts evangelical Christianity in a less favourable light to the
    non-believer; it certainly won't affect one's ultimate destiny.

    I've been teaching science and math courses on a part-time basis at a
    fundamental / evangelical Christian college for almost four years now. When
    I deal with the age of the earth, I cite geological evidence for an old
    earth and leave it at that. I don't get into arguments about 24-hour days.
    I tell my students that, scientifically, an old earth makes more sense but
    soften that by saying that, in the final analysis, we all extrapolate back
    in time. Time and time again, I've had students come to me at the end of
    the course and telling me that they had never thought about this in this
    way.

    My advice is to discuss the geological record and the flaws in the logic
    of(some of the )YEC-adherent but not to make too big of a deal of it.

    Finally, a word of caution: beware of the "domino theory:" some vulnerable
    Christians may not see a "middle road" between a literal interpretation of
    the Bible and total unbelief. Let's be careful that we don't make any
    Christian stumble.

    Shalom!

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB