Re: Answersingenesis

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 18:23:31 EST

    Let's not kid ourselves that the YEC issue is purely a scientific or
    theological one. It has become interwoven with various social and political
    issues as various sides use it for political purposes. (BTW, I am not arguing
    for or against any particular social stand--although I do have my opinions!).
     This should not be surprising as the same was true in Darwin's day, as Jim
    Moore, John H. Brooke, and David Livingstone (among many other historians)
    have shown.

    We in the U.S. may be too close to the issue to see very clearly, but an
    example from the Antipodes may help. I'm told that in Australia and New
    Zealand there recently has been considerable support for YEC among the Maori.
     One cannot say that this is only a political choice (as a protest against
    the government), but surely there is a pre-existing sentiment which makes the
    reception of YEC and the quest for its promulgation in state schools so much
    easier for dissatisfied Maori. In the U.S. YEC can and is mixed up with
    other issues (generally very conservative ones); thus an attack on YEC is an
    attack on the Bible AND all the other social issues which have been woven
    together into what is presented as the one-and-only "Christian position".
    I'm not saying it's merely political; rather many issues are mixed together
    and manipulated for reasons other than, or in addition to, scientific or
    theological ones. To attack any part (such as the traditionally sensitive
    issue of YEC) is to attack all the interwoven threads that make life
    meaningful and interpretable for many Christians (i.e., an entire
    "worldview"). This goes a long way to explaining why "rational" discussion
    is so difficult. There is no such thing as a "view from nowhere"; we all
    evaluate information and make decisions from a particular setting of place,
    time, and circumstances. No individual decision is ever made completely
    divorced from many other issues.

    And at root there is an incredible theological shallowness in much of
    American Evangelicalism today. Mark Noll wrote of the "scandal of the
    Evangelical mind". It might also be called "the unbearable lightness of
    Evangelicalism".

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com

    In a message dated 3/31/01 12:08:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,