Re: Why?/Re: Answersingenesis

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 17:43:53 EST

    Jonathan,

    The footnotes of the original edition of the Scofield Bible published
    early in the twentieth century supported the gap theory, which allows for
    an indeterminate period of time prior to the supposed ruin of creation due
    to Satan. It also had a footnote saying that the word day did not have to
    mean 24 hours. On the other hand, it also included Ussher's chronology.
    The revision published about fifty years later omitted the gap theory and
    the chronology but retained the footnote about the meaning of day as I
    recall. Thus I don't think the effect of the Scofield Bible was to make
    people intolerant of the idea of an old earth.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395