Re: Why?/Re: Answersingenesis

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 17:31:43 EST

    Good question Graham. I wonder if HM and JW have navels?

    My reading of writers on the pre HM period (Numbers, Moore, Ramm and
    Livingstone) is that there was no institutional awareness that the age of the
    earth was a fundamental issue amongst anyone except SDAs and Missouri
    Lutherans. Most books on the subject would have argued either a "day age" or
    "gap" perspective. Organic evolution was more widely seen to be an issue,
    however. There was a lot of grass roots support for YEC though, possibly
    because of the influence of the Scofield Bible, something that Numbers does
    not really take into account, dealing with the more formal writings of church
    leaders and thinkers. The grass roots support or sympathy for young earth,
    flood geology, and anti-evolutionary ideas prepared the ground for Whitcomb
    and Morris.

    As to why evangelicals (in the broad sense) have become so prone to
    irrelevancies as the KJV debate or YEC, I think the answer lies in the fact
    they as individuals and as groups have become largely unable to distinguish
    between the essential and the trivial. I shudder to think what the next issue
    to plague us will be. The rise of support for "Christian Restorationalism" is
    a matter for concern.

    Jon