RE: Glenn Morton's Letters

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 14:09:19 EST

    Since Carol forwarded a private e-mail to this list, I don't particularly
    feel required to answer, especially since I am not on the list at this time.
    I will only make a general comment. Yes, DAvid, you are correct, my view has
    its problems. All do. One can make it myth with only the most tenuous basis
    in fact and incur problems of inspiration. One can make the flood a
    mesopotamian flood and have it violate the laws of physics by having an ark
    float uphill against the water flow which I find to be the silliest
    implication of the Mesopotamian flood. One can place it in the Black Sea
    where the rise in water level mean that over a 1 year period, people had to
    move the equivalent distance of 3 houses down the block to avoid being
    drowned (hardly something that seems like the basis for the flood story. It
    should have been the long march story). One can place the flood in the
    Caspian where there are no mountains and the and ignore the claim that there
    were mountains. Which is also a criticism of all other locales except mine.
    The Black Sea rose about 1 foot per day over 400 days--400 feet--yeah that
    is covering the tall mountains. Do I hear an AMEN!?

    Or, one can look at history as God creating man, giving him civilization,
    and then destroying it forcing mankind into a several million year long dark
    age. In our 21st century arrogance we think that if we and our dearest 8
    friends were all that was left on earth we would instantly recreate
    civilization. We wouldn't! If we were lucky, we would escape starvation.
    Our children would be naked savages and all would have to be re-invented.
    That is what I believe to be the ONLY way to fit anthropology, geology and
    other items into a Biblical framework. All other choices are already false
    in my opinion. Does mine have problems sure, like every human endeavor! But
    unless you believe that the account in Genesis has absolutely NO
    relationship with what actually would happen in a Mesopotamian flood, there
    is no way that the flood could be Mesopotamian. Boats on water don't float
    UPHILL!!! On this I would bet the farm!

    personal stories of struggle