Re: Mathematics and Christianity

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 00:11:14 EST

    While it isn't from a Christian perspective, metaphysical issues that many
    ASA people would find interesting are raised in Eugene Wigner's famous essay
    "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences,"
    which is on the Web many places, for example:
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html

    For example, a statement near the end is:
    "The miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics for the
    formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift which we neither
    understand nor deserve."

    From a Christian standpoint, one might say that this "wonderful gift" was a
    part of God's design so that we could investigate his creation and fulfill
    our stewardship mandate. It would take more of a philosopher and/or
    theologian than I am in order to expand that thought into a coherent article,
    though it would not surprise me if somebody had done it somewhere.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"