Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 15:49:17 EST

    gordon brown wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 Dawsonzhu@aol.com wrote:
    >
    > > It is exactly this "book of facts" view that gets me into
    > > quibbles with athiests about why pi = 3 in the Bible.
    >
    > The verses on which this claim are based are I Kings 7:23 and II
    > Chronicles 4:2. The reasoning assumes that the diameter and circumference
    > mentioned are of the same circle. However three verses later in both
    > passages a thickness is given. This is such that if the diameter is taken
    > to be the outer diameter and the circumference the inner circumference,
    > the computed value of pi is a good enough approximation for the people of
    > that day to accept both the diameter and circumference as being
    > sufficiently accurate measurements.

                There is no reason to invoke any arguments about thickness &c.
    Pi = 3 to one significant figure. Cf. the exchange in _The Once and Future
    King_ when somebody asks how 150 men could be seated at a roundtable. Merlin
    replies, "It would have to be about 50 yards across. You do it by
    two-pi-r." Does anyone think that White should have had him say "It would
    have to be about 47.7465 .... yards across? (Roman engineers used pi =
    25/8 even though they knew that 22/7 was more accurate because eighths were
    easier for them to work with.)
                Such questions indicate a more serious problem than that,
    however, the notion that every sentence in the Bible is a revealed
    "teaching". (As in "Jesus taught in Mt. 19 that Moses wrote the
    Pentateuch.") Skeptics can then ask "Why does the Bible teach that pi = 3?"
    It doesn't.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy