Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 11:26:19 EST

    On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 Dawsonzhu@aol.com wrote:

    > It is exactly this "book of facts" view that gets me into
    > quibbles with athiests about why pi = 3 in the Bible.

    The verses on which this claim are based are I Kings 7:23 and II
    Chronicles 4:2. The reasoning assumes that the diameter and circumference
    mentioned are of the same circle. However three verses later in both
    passages a thickness is given. This is such that if the diameter is taken
    to be the outer diameter and the circumference the inner circumference,
    the computed value of pi is a good enough approximation for the people of
    that day to accept both the diameter and circumference as being
    sufficiently accurate measurements.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado