Pi from Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 16:49:09 EST

As already noted, the most important answer to this issue is that the passages are not giving measurements with the precision of a modern geometry textbook. Additionally, there are several considerations that would limit precision. Construction of a perfect circle would not have been feasible. Measurement of it would not have been easy, either, especially if no one bothered to use a piece of string. At that time, advanced mathematics requiring a more precise value of pi were mainly used for astrology.

I have seen the suggestion that, as the basin at one point is described as being like a lily, that it was actually hexagonal and exacty 10 across, 30 around. Lilies do have 6 petals, but they are not perfectly hexagonal.

    Dr. David Campbell
    "Old Seashells"
    Biology Department
    Saint Mary's College of Maryland
    18952 E. Fisher Road
    St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
    dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
"Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!