Re: Human cloning

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 16:08:46 EST

    Bjorn posted:

    " is it really
    possible to make a human being in a lab? And if it is,
    then isn't Christian doctrine with respect to man
    simply false, and materialism is true? "

    Answer to #1. Not yet, but all indications are that it will be very soon
    -- I'd guess within the next 10 years.

    Answer to #2. Not at all. Clones are made all the time, just not by
    direct human intervention. Every identical twin ever born is a clone of
    his twin. We surely do not attribute one soul to two (or more) people
    just because they are twins, triplets, etc.

    The larger question, one which I've not seen addressed so far, is what
    happens when scientist/doctors are successful in producing a living being
    from the sperm of a male human and the egg of a female chimp? Or vice
    versa. That's certainly a possibility. What do we call the result? How do
    we treat it? Worse -- how do we treat its offspring?

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    www.burgy.50megs.com