Re: Human cloning

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 17:23:31 EST

    Bjoern Moeller wrote:

    > Listening to Odyssey on NPR today (Wed 2/21), where
    > the issue of human cloning was debated, something
    > struck me.
    >
    > The scientists on the program (a professor in Cell and
    > Molecular Biology from Northwestern and a professor in
    > Social Thought from U of Chicago) agreed that it is
    > probable that a human cloning will take place in the
    > future, perhaps even in the near future (quote "in
    > months"), and then they discussed the scientific,
    > technological, economical, medical, and ethical
    > implications of a human clone.
    >
    > I am not a biologist or chemist, so I am not able to
    > really discuss these matters, but what struck me, and
    > what was not even mentioned in the program, is the
    > question 'What is a human being?' As a Christian I
    > think that a human being is a body and a soul/spirit.
    > If that is true, the further question is if a
    > scientist can create a human being. Totally ignorant
    > of how a human cloning is performed, is it really
    > possible to make a human being in a lab? And if it is,
    > then isn't Christian doctrine with respect to man
    > simply false, and materialism is true?

            If cloning falsified Christianity it would already have been falsified by those
    who do in vitro fertilization. In fact, it would have been falsified by a man & woman
    who have intercourse in order to have a baby. Human beings come into being through
    biological processes with varying degrees of technological assistance. As Christians
    we're to believe that God is active in those processes.
            IMO it is important that there be general agreement (& not just among
    Christians), before complete human cloning that the result of successful human cloning
    will be treated as a fully human being "with all the rights and privileges pertaining
    thereto." Everything possible should be done to head off ideas that clones can be mere
    property, machinery, slaves, sources of spare parts, &c.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/