Human cloning

From: Bjoern Moeller (dj_mic20@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 13:23:57 EST

    Listening to Odyssey on NPR today (Wed 2/21), where
    the issue of human cloning was debated, something
    struck me.

    The scientists on the program (a professor in Cell and
    Molecular Biology from Northwestern and a professor in
    Social Thought from U of Chicago) agreed that it is
    probable that a human cloning will take place in the
    future, perhaps even in the near future (quote "in
    months"), and then they discussed the scientific,
    technological, economical, medical, and ethical
    implications of a human clone.

    I am not a biologist or chemist, so I am not able to
    really discuss these matters, but what struck me, and
    what was not even mentioned in the program, is the
    question 'What is a human being?' As a Christian I
    think that a human being is a body and a soul/spirit.
    If that is true, the further question is if a
    scientist can create a human being. Totally ignorant
    of how a human cloning is performed, is it really
    possible to make a human being in a lab? And if it is,
    then isn't Christian doctrine with respect to man
    simply false, and materialism is true?

    My questions presuppose that something immaterial
    can't come out of something material, and that the
    soul/spirit of a human being is immaterial.

    Perhaps I have just misunderstood what a human clone
    is?

    Bjorn Moller
    Philosophy Dept.
    Loyola University Chicago